How to make israeli sukkot stew (sukkot tsimmes)
- Sprinkle the meat with salt. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Brown meat and onions. (*)
- Add enough water to cover meat. Simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place meat, onions, and cooking liquid in a 4-quart casserole. Add the sweet potatoes, carrots, white potatoes, prunes, dried apricots, orange juice and rind. Sprinkle with brown sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Cover contents with water. Cover casserole dish and bake 1 hour.
- Uncover, season with salt and pepper, and bake an additional 2 hours, or until the liquid disappears and the top turns crusty.
(*) A nonstick vegetable spray may be used in place of oil for browning the meat and onions.
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Cooking time: 4 hours