How to make israeli cheese blintzes (levavot gvina)
- In a medium mixing bowl, make filling by combining cream cheese, cottage cheese, 1 egg, and salt. Beat until mixture is fairly smooth. Stir in raisins. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat 2 eggs well. Add salt and water and stir until blended.
- Place flour in a large mixing bowl. Gradually add egg mixture from step 2, beating well with a spoon to prevent lumps from forming.
- In a frying pan or crepe pan, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat. Stir melted butter into batter.
- Pour 1/4 cup batter into pan, quickly swirling pan so a thin, even layer covers the bottom. Cook on one side only, until batter is dry and surface begins to bubble.
- Remove pancake from pan with a spatula and place on paper towels. Repeat with remaining batter, adding butter or margarine to lightly grease pan when necessary.
- When all pancakes have been cooked, place 2 to 3 tablespoons filling on center of each. Roll up pancake and fold the open ends underneath.
- Melt any remaining butter or margarine in the pan and quickly sauté pancakes over medium-high heat until brown and crispy. Serve immediately with sour cream. (*)
(*) To reduce fat and calories in this recipe, use low-fat or nonfat cream cheese, cottage cheese, and sour cream, which are available at most supermarkets.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1 1/4 hours
Makes about 24 blintzes