How to make chinese New Year's noodles
- Prepare noodles according to package directions and set aside.
- Soak mushrooms in warm water for 20 minutes. Squeeze dry, trim off stems, and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- While mushrooms are soaking, make a sauce by mixing the chicken or vegetable broth, soy sauce, cornstarch, and sugar in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a skillet or wok, heat peanut oil. Add garlic and ginger and stir-fry until garlic barely begins to brown.
- Add mushrooms, cabbage, bean sprouts, and bamboo shoots and stir-fry until tender, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add sauce and noodles to pan. Lower heat, and simmer uncovered for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with sesame oil, if desired, and toss well. Remove from heat, garnish with scallions, and serve.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Long noodles, a favorite dish at New Year's, are also served at birthdays to ensure long life.