Recipe for chinese rice in our easy ethnic recipes collection.
- 2 cups long-grain white rice, uncooked
- 3 cups water
- Water for washing
How to make chinese rice
- Place rice in a pan or bowl and wash with cold water. Run your hands through rice and drain when water for washing water becomes cloudy. Repeat until water is clear.
- Place rice and 3 cups water in a deep saucepan. Do not cover.
- Put the pan over high heat and bring water to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes.
- Cover pan tightly and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes, or until all water has been absorbed.
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Congee, or jook, is a rice porridge that is commonly eaten for breakfast in China. Basic congee is very simple to make. In a deep saucepan, combine 1 cup short-grain rice and 8 cups cold water. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat. Simmer for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring every now and then to keep rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Just about anything can be added to congee, from veggies and meat to dried fruit and nuts. To quickly spice up this basic recipe, try topping it with chopped scallions and fresh, thinly sliced ginger.